The Safe Routes to School Partnership supports the efforts of local governments and school communities to promote the safety of children walking and bicycling to school. Knox County’s partnership is coordinated by the Knox County Health Department and the TPO.
Knox County Engineering has issued several studies on walkability around schools:
- This report analyzes all schools in the County (including in Knoxville and Farragut) for potential walkability based on the number of students in proximity to each school.
- This follow-up study recommends pedestrian safety improvements at 14 schools in unincorporated Knox County.
- This study recommends pedestrian safety improvements at 21 additional schools in unincorporated Knox County.
- This presentation summarizes Knox County’s work to begin making these improvements..
BIKE WALK KNOXVILLE
The nonprofit organization Bike Walk Knoxville has received grants to lead Walking School Bus groups and educate school children about safe walking and bicycling.
For more information about federal funding and guidance for Safe Routes to Schools, visit these websites:
- Safe Routes to School guide from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- The National Center for Safe Routes to School
- The Federal Highway Administration